Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Mac Palette


I always lusted over Mac eye shadows and since becoming a part of the online beauty world it's gotten pretty bad....however I could never justify the high price tag. In Australia one MAC eyeshadow retails for $33.00AUD. 

So when my boyfriend recently took a trip to the US I made sure I put in my MAC order :) Especially considering the aussie dollar was 1 for 1 to the US dollar!! I weighed up what I wanted to get and finally (after a LOT of online research!) I decided on creating my own custom palette with 15 eyeshadows for $179USD. This works out to be ~$12USD a shadow and you get the palette to put them in, a lot more reasonable than $33AUD per shadow. 

The shadows I choose are as follows; Blanc Type, Brule, Patina, All that Glitters, Honey Lust, Woodwinked, Coquette, Satin Taupe, Twinks, Handwritten, Sumptuous Olive, Humid, Digit, Electra and Knight Divine.

I wanted a bunch of neutral shadows but also a little bit of colour which is why I threw in a purple in Digit and the 2 green shades (Sumptuous Olive and Humid). I also picked a silver (Electra) and a dark grey (Knight Divine) as I like to do a silver smokey eye when going out on the weekends. 

The colour Coquette was sort of a random decision - I had one spot left over and I wanted a matte brown so I took a punt and filled the spot with Coquette. This worked out to be a pretty good guess as this shade is PERFECT for filling in my brows :) 

So here's what you guys want to see.....SWATCHES!!! :) 

Going from top to bottom and left to right; Blanc Type, Brule, Patina, All That Glitters, Honey Lust, Woodwinked, Coquette, Satin Taupe, Twinks, Sumptuous Olive, Humid, Handwritten, Digit, Electra, Knight Divine.
L to R: Coquette, Blanc Type, Brule, Patina, All That Glitters, Honey Lust,
Woodwinked, Satin Taupe,  Twinks, Handwritten. 
L to R; Coquette, Blanc Type, Brule, Patina, All That Glitters.
L to R; Honey Lust, Woodwinked, Satin Taupe, Twinks, Handwritten. 
L to R; Sumptuous Olive, Humid, Electra, Knight Divine, Digit.

I love all the shades I picked but my favourite shadow would have to be Patina. Patina is such a gorgeous colour and one that is quite hard to describe. MAC describes it as "a muted taupe brown with golden shimmer" but to me that description doesn't quite do it justice. It is my perfect lid/crease colour and I often pair it with Brule or Blanc Type for a natural looking eye that still looks stunning. On days I want to darken it up I simply add a smidge of handwritten in the outer v and blend it out. 

When I want a green look I use Sumptuous Olive on the lid and Humid on the outer corner and blended into the crease. These two colours look gorgeous paired together! Another great pairing is Electra and Knight Divine and these are my go-to saturday night smokey eye look. I place Knight Divine all over the lid and blended out into the crease and under the eye, then I add Electra to the inner corner and blend upwards. Then simply add a highlight shade and you have a very sexy smokey look. 

I hope you enjoyed checking out my mac palette :) Let me know some of your fave MAC eyeshadows and how you use them. 


2 comments:

Lilit said...

Those are fantastic colours you've chosen, they're right up my alley. And so nice of your boyfriend to pick them up!

Sumptuous Olive looks nice... but I'll be good and stay away from any more eyeshadow purchases for now as lately I've been going nuts over the Inglot eyeshadows, I can't stop buying them! LOL

Hannah said...

Sumptuous Olive is really pretty ! I love greens - they are probably my fave colour to experiment with. I have a couple Inglot shadows, some bright blue ones that I got as a present one year, although they don't get much use because they are pretty bright! haha but the pigmentation of them is amazing!